Knit for Kids

04 June 2015



Hello everybody! Happy almost Friday. A few months ago, I felt the need to just do something for the world. That sounds stupid, but, it's true! I thought about what I personally could do to help this world just a liiiiitttle bit, and I decided I was going to knit some baby things and donate them. I did some research, and I came across Knit for Kids. Knit for Kids is a Christian organization that receives your donated items and sends them to places all across the world, including the United States. I have a personal goal of sending in (hopefully) 100 little hats, with the help of my friends and family who knit around me as well. 

I'm sharing this because I want other people to feel inspired and maybe get involved. You can read more about the Knit for Kids story here. They are currently only accepting hats and basic sweaters. You can browse through the website (here) and see the rules/regulation and decide if it is something you are interested in. There are simple patterns available on the website as well!

If you want, I created a pattern that is fairly easy for a baby hat that you guys can use! It's the pattern I used for the hats in the photo above. It's super simple. 

Materials:
Chunky yarn
10 1/2 needles (straight or circular)
Darning needle

Pattern:
Cast on 40 stitches
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Purl
- continue rows 1 & 2 for about 5 inches ending with a row 2 row -

Decreasing
Row 1: K2 *k2tog rest of row* - 21 sts. 
Row 2: Purl whole row
Row 3: K1 *k2tog rest of row* - 11 sts.
Row 4: Purl whole row
Row 5: K1 *k2tog rest of row* - 6 sts.

Finishing
Cut a long tail, attach darning needle, and weave tail through remaining stitches. Pull the needle out from the stitches and close the top of the hat. Work the seam of the hat using the mattress stitch. Weave ends in.

For a pdf printable version of this pattern, click here

There you go! If there is anything I can do to make the pattern simpler or if there is anything confusing about it, please let me know! It's super easy. Probably easier than it seems. Try it out & let me know :)




Leave a Comment

  1. Thanks for sharing! I don't knit but my mother does so I'm going to share this with her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't knit but wish I did because I love all those handmade knit items for babies. Those hats are super cute. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete