What's sweet, old, and cute all over?

09 July 2014

Sorry for the horrible title, but can you guys guess? A puppy, yes. Vintage clothes, yes. But what I'm talking about is a grandmother. I actually googled the definition of a grandmother, and this is what popped up.

Grandmother / noun / ˈgran(d)ˌməT͟Hər / : any kindly, sweet old woman who will happily boost your self-esteem and write you letters and love you. Tends to know lots of neat old songs and obscure, off-color jokes. Generally much cooler and less scary than one's actual mother.

How much more accurate could that definition be? Literally describes my grandma...perfectly. However, despite being so much less scary than my mother (sorry mom), she is so much more than that to me. My grandma is literally somebody who I consider a best friend. Nobody understands the things I say better than her, and I am so unbelievable grateful for the time I get with her, I only wish we could have a hundred years more together.

My grandma just recently got remarried (at like, age 77, go her!) and moved like, 45 minutes away. I never realized how much I saw of her until she left, and now I love the days I have with her where I just go to her house and we sit and we talk and we knit together for hours. These are memories I will cherish for the rest of my life. It breaks my heart to hear about people who never knew their grandmas because some of the greatest advice I have received has came from her. She has taught me things I will remember for the rest of my life.


My grandma has the biggest heart of anybody I know. She loves the Lord and is grateful for all that she has been blessed with in her life, even the bad that got her where she is today. There are literally hundreds of reasons I could say about why I love her. I actually made her one of those cliché Pinterest projects (a lot like this one) with 365 reasons why I love her for Mother's Day. She loves them.
 
Anyway, the point of this post is to tell you all not take your grandparents for granted. They love you unconditionally and deserve that same love back. I hope my grandma knows how much I appreciate her love and advice, and how much I love our little days together. They mean more to me than probably anybody will ever know. My grandma was telling me today that she wished I had known her mother, and I'm sure I am going to be telling my kids the same thing about her one day. The thought that they may never know her breaks my heart. But one day they will meet in Heaven, and for that I am thankful. 

Don't forget about old people, they need love too!
Randell

And here's an adorable pic of my smiling puppy because who doesn't love puppy pics!

Leave a Comment

  1. This is one of the sweetest things I've ever read! I get your feelings about your grandma 100%. Both of mine passed away in the past year, and it's been really hard not having either of them around. Grandma's are the best at everything, though. Especially story telling and cooking tasty food (:

    ReplyDelete